Monday, August 4, 2014

The Book About Me

The Bible is not meant to be read in third person.  It is meant for us to apply it to ourselves.  We are to put ourselves in the place of each situation and, as a consequence, allow our lives to be changed, strengthened and made to be acceptable in the eyes of Jesus Christ.

When I read of the flood of Genesis, I am as Noah who received the astonishing revelation and who was challenged to work to prepare an escape for myself, my family, and my world.  I also am a son who worked at the bidding of his father and who inherited the vision and also the salvation that resulted.

When I read of the faith of Abraham who followed the call of God, and the continuing revelation and direction of God, which invited the blessing of God, it is for me to insert myself into that entire account of faithfulness.  His disappointments are also mine as well as the profound and perpetual blessings.  

When I read of Joseph, I am both Joseph beloved and Joseph hated.  I also see myself in the place of temptation, being maligned, imprisoned, forgotten and then also elevated.  I am to be one who is the salvation of many and the forgiver of those who meant evil.  It is not just a story of Joseph.  It is meant to be my story and your story.

The Bible is a book about me.

I am present at the crucifixion.  At times I am part of the accusing crowd, and at other times I am the one who carries His rough cross.  It is all my story.  I flung dust and epithets, and I heard Him say "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."  I, at other times, am the one identified and admonished to "behold my mother."  I have been everywhere on that hillside.  I have been the one on the right side and at other times I have been the one on the left of the cross in the center.  There are times, when I read the precious unfathomable account, that I am to be the One in the middle.  I identify with Jesus himself and, in a minute measure, feel his suffering and pain.

I am Peter casting nets.  I am Peter walking on water;  Peter with the sword;  Peter denying that I know my Lord;  Peter being included in the gatherings of the visitation of the resurrected Christ.  I am Peter, the preacher at Pentecost.  And at Pentecost I am also part of the crowd.

I am a saint at Corinth, and again at Ephesus, and again at Philippi.
I am Jude with an agonizing, burning message of warning to the church.
I am the aged, frail in body, strong in spirit, apostle John on Patmos seeing, hearing and writing revelation given to me, for me, and for generations to come.  

I am the first to cast his crown at the feet of the Lamb on the throne in that Holy City.  I am part of that great multitude that no man can number.  In my heart and in my devotion, I am one who is closest to the throne.

The Bible is my book.  It is my story.  I no longer view it from a distance, nor is it a third person article fit for filing on a shelf.  It is my book.  It is my hope.  It is my life.  It determines what I do, where I go, what I say, what I think, what I hope for.  

It has led me to look for a blessed hope:   "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;  looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;  who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.    Titus 2:11-14  

The Bible is a book about me.  It is my strength and my hope from Genesis 1:1 through and including the last "Amen" of Revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment